Saturday, February 2, 2013

21 Before 22



While this is the first time I've used the "21 before 22" format to write out my goals for the year, you have probably seem similar posts on blogs like A Beautiful Mess or Delightfully Tacky. The idea is simple, around your birthday, you write a list of goals to accomplish before your next birthday. As you age, the number of goals grows as well.

I sat down and started this list at my birthday but planned to share it at the start of the new year. When the year got off to a rough start, the list was tossed aside. So, I thought that now, four months after my twenty-first birthday and a full month after the start of a new year, would be as good a time as any to share.

While I made a few notes to myself at the start of 2013 about habits I'd like to change (why can't I seem remember to take my make up off at night?), this list focuses more on action goals - things I want to do or learn before I turn twenty-two. Rather than setting unobtainable goals and feeling disappointed when I can't cross them off at the end of a year, I chose mostly realistic ideas for this list. As I complete goals, you know I will share my progress with you.


Many of my goals for this year revolve around our house and home. Though we've lived here together since July, our house still feels unpersonal and at times, unorganized, to me. Now that school has ended for a few months, I am really hoping to put my energy into changing the things about our house that are bothering me! The biggest task on that list includes painting our living room, with its blue ceilings, and our bedroom. I'd also love to add some fun touches like a gallery wall above our fireplace, an inspiring office space and a garden in our yard this summer. I'm also hoping to add a bar cart and record player to our living room for nights when I just can't take Trevor's musical selections anymore. Kidding, everyone. If you're looking for interesting music to add to your collection, you should check out his music-driven Facebook page.

On a similar note, I added a few goals that are now possible since we live in Montana. These include seeing the Pacific Ocean (and hopefully Seattle) and visitng Glacier National Park. We also spent this past summer with tenative camping plans that never came through. Perhaps in 2013?


The remaining goals are mostly creative in nature. If you didn't know, I used to be passionate about painting but with the cost of art supplies, I distanced myself from the hobby. Throughout the year, I hope to pick up a paintbrush again, to learn how to knit, to challenge myself with a photography workshop or classs, to develop new recipes, and to be more consistent at blogging.

So tell me, do you make a birthday goal list or new years resolution? What are you looking forward to accomplishing in 2013?

6 comments:

  1. Those look awesome! Crochet is quite straightforward to pick up, I think. A Beautiful Mess has a really easy hat pattern, which is basically a rectangle folded over with one side sewn. Very easy for a first project.

    This year I'm going to do birthday goals because it feels like a better stretch of time, to me.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought long and hard about my list - I feel like 21 should be a good year, right? And that's great to know - I've been wanting to learn to knit or crochet, forever. I'm an old lady at heart.

      Delete
  2. I always love reading these lists! So inspiring. These all seem attainable, and I look forward to reading your progress :) And when you make it to Seattle, CALL ME! (in my imaginary blog-friend-world we have each other's numbers, ahahaha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha. If we make plans for Seattle, I will DEFINITELY let you know!

      Delete
  3. Awesome list! I love your travel goals of course (the Pacific is a must) and the way you incorporated 21 into some of the items. Also, just FYI: I bought a commuter bike at REI and they put a bike rack on the back wheel for me. Now I have this awesome clip-in basket I can take on and off when I go to the grocery store, library, etc., and put my bike lock and purse in when I'm riding around. Just a thought if you can't find a cute bike with the basket on the front that you really like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SUCH a great idea. We're headed to California in April so I'm hoping to make it to the Pacific in year 22, though it will now be much further south!

      Delete