Monday, February 25, 2013

Recipe | Citrus Vinaigrette


It seems that every winter, I am met with the same surprise at the realization that citrus fruits are in season. Entering the grocery store to a pile of orange, clementines, and grapefruits - all seemingly bright and cheerful - is a welcome change from snow and gray skies, though.

This week, our co-op basket was filled with citrus fruit, rainbow carrots, eggplant and colorful leaf lettuce. Imagine my delight. While the carrots and other hardy vegetables were quickly roasted or set aside for recipes, I couldn't figure out what to do with the two grapefruits carefully balanced on top of our fruit bowl.

Last week, dinners consisted on spinach salads with carmelized onions, grilled pineapple and a honey lime dressing.  I quickly realized that a citrus vinaigrette would be a great way to use the extra fruit but would also be perfect for the huge leafy bunches of lettuce we needed to eat this week. After doing a quick search for "citrus vinaigrette," I was overwhelmed with inspiration but without a recipe that seemed quite right. Instead, I created my own.

Aside from juicing two oranges and a grapefruit, this is a simple dressing - created using only a pair of tongs, a small sauce pan, and either a glass mason jar or a glass bowl and whisk. And washing a few small dishes will always beat cleaning a blender or processor, in my opinion.

While the recipe is simple, it's the perfect way to make use of winter's produce selections and so I thought I would share. I'm looking forward to serving this dressing over leaf lettuce salads with orange slices and chopped green onions. If you live in a region with seafood, it would also be great with salmon or another fresh fish.

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
1 Tsp of Fresh Orange Zest
2 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp of Honey
1/4 Cup of Fresh Grapefruit Juice
1/2 Cup of Fresh Orange Juice
1 Tsp of Dijon Mustard
1/2 Tsp Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions:

Combine fresh grapefruit and orange juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the liquid to a boil, add honey. Turn the burner to low and allow the mixture to simmer for 3-5 minutes or until 1/2 cup of liquid is remaining. Allow the liquid to cool to room temperature.

In a small glass bowl, whisk together juice, orange zest, salt and pepper. Add balsamic and dijon. Whisk until completely combined. Then, slowly add the olive oil while continuing to whisk the mixture.

Makes enough dressing for 4 - 6 salads depending on preferences.


4 comments:

  1. stumbled on to your blog and I love it. I love the recipes you have posted so far. They seem so clean and light.
    New follower! Hope you check me out as well :)


    miyaloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found my blog! With food allergies aplenty, we try to eat lots of wholesome and natural ingredients - I like to carry that through to my recipes!

      Delete
  2. I nominated you for the Liebster award!! :-)

    http://www.lovehylton.com

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! That served as a great reminder since another friend had also nominated me and well, it slipped my mind!

      Delete