Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ten on Tuesday | New Mexico Plans


I guess this is our way of telling you, those of you who haven't already heard, that it's decided - we're moving to New Mexico. When I started this blog post at 5:15 this morning, I was thrilled, high on the excitement or a new job, a new school, a new place. Now, after another day of house searching? Well, I'm not writing with quite as much enthusiasm.

If you've followed the record of my travels, you may realize that I've never actually been to the Land of Enchantment. That being said, I feel as though I've wandered through the state vicariously from Trevor's stories, photos, and dreams of someday, one day visiting together.

Now, as we're making real, tentative plans to not only visit but to move to the state, I've got a list of places I'd like to see and things I'd like to do when we get there.


1 // The Taos Pueblo ranks high on my list of places to see because of Trevor's attachment to the area.  I find it astonishing that an adobe pueblo could be inhabited for more than 1,000 consecutive years. Now, 150 people live within the pueblo full-time without running water or electricity.

2 // Each fall, Santa Fe builds and burns the world's largest marionette, the Zozobra. Also known as "Old Man Gloom", the giant figure is filled with scraps of paper containing the troubles and worries of the cities inhabitants. The idea is that in burning Zozobra, all the worries and troubles of the year will also be burned away.

3 // The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta was on my list for 2012 - when Trevor moved to Montana, I hatched a crazy plan for us to meet in Albuquerque. For obvious reasons, we never made it. The fiesta is the largest annual international event held in the U.S., and the most photographed event in the world. Hopefully in 2013 I'll be there to photograph it myself.

4 // If you're familiar with Natural Born Killers, you will know why seeing the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge makes my list. Unfortunately, I think it is a bit of a lofty goal (ha!) considering my fear of heights - after all, it is the 10th highest bridge in the country.

5 // Perhaps the most nonchalant item on my list is a visit to Tribe's Coffeehouse. While it may not be "the old dirty Tribes" of Trevor's stories, his handwriting is still on the walls. Besides, I've heard about Mama Tribes' chai recipe for years.

6 // The Santa Fe Indian Market is my second nod to Native American Culture. I'm always intrigued by art festivals and one filled with turquoise, culture, jewelry and pottery is obviously at the top of my list.

7 // When I first started actively searching out great photographers, I came across a series of portraits a photographer had taken of her perhaps five-year-old daughter. The portraits were to celebrate her birthday and while the little girl was dressed in a pink, short-sleeved princess gown, she walked barefooted in what looked like snow. Ever since seeing that series of photos, visiting White Sands National Monument has been on my bucket list.

8 // Though not Catholic, I am always impressed with cathedral architecture and stained glass. For that reason, the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi and seeing the spiral staircase at the Loretto Chapel make my list.

9 // The Pecos National Historical Park is another site that makes my list because of its importance to Trevor. While I don't know much about the history of the Pecos Pueblo itself, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to see preserved wagon ruts from the Old Santa Fe Trail or the Glorieta Pass Battlefield.

10 // In our bathroom hang several small original paintings from New Mexico, one of which features the Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks. After visiting Sedona, I became enamored with volcanic rock formations and can't wait to visit these which were produced six or seven million years ago.



So tell me, have you ever been to New Mexico? Any of the places I've mentioned? What do I need to add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment