Thursday, January 20, 2011

So Little Time

Spring semester always brings about busier schedules and more things to do than I can handle, especially with Penn State and THON in full swing. This year is a little bit different though. Penn State York decided that I'd be taking each of my classes only once a week and mostly during the evenings. But seeing as how no one wants to be at school after eight (including professors), my 18 credit hours really only take approximately nine hours a week, not counting that online class I've yet to start. And I'm loving it because it means I can fit in 10 hours with the girls, 3 nights at the Blue Heron, THON and a sleepover with my boyfriend every week. Like I said, I'm loving it.

But the next few weeks (weekends, really) are packed full of fun, friends, parties and visits:

January 22 - 23


This weekend myself and thousands of THON volunteers across the commonwealth will be standing on street corners, in the cold, snow, and whatever else comes our way, this weekend (and I promise, we'll be wearing many more layers than in the picture above). This has been one of the greatest sources of donations for Penn State York THON this year and hopefully this weekend will keep up that trend. Our canning captain, Angi (above), has done an incredible job this year and raised almost $4,000 with her first canning weekend. Keep an eye out for Penn Staters this weekend and if you get a chance, drop a few coins (or bills) in their cans and give them a big THANK YOU for all they do to stop pediatric cancer.

Our last phone date with Katie
This weekend also means seeing some of my favorite girls - Kasey, Maddie Hill & Katie Bush. I haven't seen Katie in ages, way too long really, but we're changing that. Maddie and I are making our first ever roadtrip to Lancaster on Sunday to spend some much needed time with our favorite cheerleader. And hopefully Saturday will entail a visit to the Griffiths family, who I miss way too much. Besides, I've got a brown paper bag full of rainbow striped tissue paper and souvenirs from France for my favorite 11-year-old.

January 29 - 30
I'm heartbroken that I won't be going to CCSG this weekend, but I will be at the Blue Heron, of course. The exciting part of the weekend is not work though. On Sunday January 30th, Penn State York will be hosting it's first ever Longaberger Basket Bingo to Benefit THON. Our bingo will feature 20 regular games, 1 special game, door prizes, two Penn State basket raffles and more! We've got some really fun themes and great basket stuffers including a baking basket, a fresh flower arrangement from Pealers Flowers, tickets to Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre, many restauraunt gift certificates (Red Robin, anyone?) and so much more! I will post a more detailed list later this week - and maybe pictures too?! The bingo is being held in the Conference Center on the bottom floor of our Main Classroom (or John Romano Administration Building) with doors opening at 12:30, at which time you will be able to purchase lots of different food and drink options such as Brenda's Sandwiches! Bingo will begin at 2:00. If you'd like to purchase tickets, they are only $20 (with all proceeds benefitting the Penn State IFC/Pan-hellenic Dance Marathon and the fight against Pediatric Cancer) and I would be glad to get them to you! Please feel free to pass this information on to friends and family.

February 5 - 6


On Saturday February 5th, I will be trying something new. Lindsey Shortt and I will be freezin' for a reason - a really good reason, at that. We will be dipping our toes (half of our bodies, really) into the nearly frozen Susquehanna River at the York Polar Bear Plunge to benefit the 20,000 Pennsylvania athletes who participate in the Special Olympics each year. I know that I am constantly asking for donations and requests but I hope that each of you finds one that strikes you as important. If you'd like to make a pledge toward Lindsey and I, you can do get information on doing so by clicking the image above! (Please be sure to leave a comment here if you do.)


In celebration of our cold afternoon swim and one of America's favorites sports, on Sunday February 6th, I will be hosting my first ever superbowl party! (If you don't count the time that the Colts went and I hung some blue and white streamers around the living room) A HUGE thank you to Ryan for allowing me to do something so untypical of us and to Hana for helping me get all of the delicious food ready. This Sunday we shall see who will make it to the big game, but in the meantime, the NFL is tracking out the road to Superbowl XLV. While I'm sad to see my Colts knocked out by a single point, I'm still celebrating that Patriots loss. I'm rooting Jets and Bears all the way.

February 12 - 13

A big weekend in the flower world but also the last canning weekend of the year. While I don't know what Valentines plans I might have, I gaurantee that this will be one of the busiest weekends of my year as I balance rose arrangements and fundraising, while trying to have a normal Valentines date with my boyfriend - I'm a little disappointed that sushi is out of the question this year, though.

February 18 - 20



In  28 days and 19 hours, the biggest weekend of the year arrives for many families, students and children across Pennsylvania. For 46 hours, we will come Together Without Limits to dance, stand, sing, dance, play, and raise money. It's not too late to join in today and help make our goal of one day beating cancer possible. In the next few days, I will also be sharing information on how you can send mail to the wonderful dancers and children who will be on the floor of the Bryce Jordan Center that weekend!

These are the things that I'm looking forward to in the next few weeks, which means many late night posts and pictures here. I've never been a fan of winter but its starting to look pretty good. (Well, except for all the snow coming down outside)

No comments:

Post a Comment