Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ten on Tuesday | Travel Essentials


After a few years of flying to and from Florida, New Orleans, Missouri, Arizona, France and Montana,  I consider myself pretty experienced at traveling. While the talent of packing for the trip itself still eludes me, I think that I have a pretty good handle on the rest of things. So, with a trip to Arizona quickly approaching, I thought I would share my travel essentials with you.

1 // Modcloth Cardigan - I tend to wear the same thing for every flight with a few changes depending on the season and location. I am naturally cold, all the time, and I find that airplanes can have dramatic changes in temperature, as well. To combat these problems, I always wear leggings, a loose fit tank top or t-shirt and a long, oversized cardigan. I find that this looks put together but is comfortable at the same time. Am I the only one who judges people who fly in their pajamas?

2 // Target Leggings - These ponte pants from Target provide a nice balance between dress and comfort, too. They're the sophisticated version of leggings - perfectly stretchy and comfortable without being see through.

3 // Derek Cardigan Sunglasses -  When hopping time zones or enduring long flights, jet lag and dehydration can sneak up on you quickly.  While I haven't ever been much of a sunglasses fan, I do travel with them as I find that sunglasses help to hide just how tired you are when stepping off a plane.

4 // Canon 60D - While I take my DSLR everywhere, my advice is just to make sure that you bring a camera for your travels - even if that just means having your iPhone handy.

5 // C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Tint - This, in Pink Mint, is hands down my favorite lip gloss - I've been using the same one for more than four years. It's an essential not only for travel but work, meetings, and nights out. It's a slightly shimmery, non-sticky gloss that tints your lips and freshens your breath.

6 // Paperchase Notebook - Flights are a great time for brainstorming and so I always carry a notebook  when I travel;  it's useful for jotting down to-do lists, schedules, and blogging ideas.

7 // Colored Sharpie Pens - These pens are my favorite. I tend to pack a few colored pens in my bag to make organizing my notes and calendar easier.

8 // GoPicnic Meals - Traveling on a gluten-free diet is hard. Airlines rarely offer snacks that are without wheat and airports are typically filled with fast food chains. Instead of worrying about what I can eat at a new airport, I pack a GoPicnic meal in my bag for the plane. While I love the tuna and crackers best, GoPicnic offers a variety of other healthy packaged meals including wheat-filled and vegan options. (And, they have sudoku in the box - a perfect way to pass time on a flight)

9 // Jansport Backpack - I used to fly with a tote bag for my personal item but quickly realized that a backpack provides the best option for me. When flying alone, it can be difficult to keep track of your things in a crowded airport. I also try not to touch my carry on once it has been stowed overhead and so it is nice to have things easily accessible during the flight.  A backpack has plenty of room for my laptop, my camera, magazines, and snacks, but is also easy to carry while rolling a carry on across a long airport terminal.

10 // Brookstone Nap Blanket - I always try to sleep on long flights and find that having a blanket is a necessity. This one from Brookstone is perfect for traveling - it's comfortable, warm, and just the right size.

So tell me, what are your travel essentials? I never get on a flight without something to read, a few bobby pins, makeup, a bottle of water, snacks and a pack of gum.


1 comment:

  1. What a cute notebook! I did a similar post last year about the items I've found to be absolutely necessary during my traveling this year as a consultant:

    http://megancstroup.blogspot.com/2012/10/traveling-consultant-essentials.html

    ReplyDelete