Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 2.

I'd like to clarify that unfortunately while my life presents beautiful moments every day - I have been much to busy to present them all to you.

Today is beautiful because I was able to laugh with Kasey, I was able to make silly faces while she pushed away not-so-delicious-looking "macaroni and cheese" (I have never understand hospital food), and I saw Kasey fall asleep, and get some much needed rest (finally).

I made my first trip to Hershey Children's Hospital today and despite the fear and anxiety I faced on the highway journey to the hospital's 7th floor - it was a beautiful trip. Besides, my anxiety was relieved as Kasey told me about the guy with his "pants on the ground" and the lovely therapy dog who made friends with this young man. (Like I said, she's a funny girl.)


This is a projection of the construction that is going on but it gives you an idea of the immense size of the hospital.

Kase is staying in room 7266 right now - the last door on the left in the Marathon Ave. wing of the floor - the THON wing of the floor. I don't think I've ever felt more proud of THON or what we have done. I wasn't nearly as proud as I fell asleep as the final totals were revelead (all $7.83 million of good news).  Nor was I as proud when I was chosen as co-chair for Penn State York's THON. Never have I been as sure of what I am doing for THON as when I walked down Marathon Ave. with Stacey and Angi, on our way to the laundry room.

I also had the joy of visiting the Hagens family this week, which made life much more beautiful, as well. Nothing beats 2-year olds, spilled milk & crayons - really. Ava's hair is coming in SO thick, she's even cuter than ever. I even got to share her crayons. And, better yet - Ava texted me tonight.

I love being able to talk to Jessica because she helps put things in to perspective for me. Fortunately, I have been blessed with having the "easier" side of cancer. Becca was in remission when we met, Ava has been doing well in her treatment. I haven't had to understand the in's and out's of treatment, I haven't had to spend time at clinic or driving back and forth. I can't say that I understand Leukemia, and Jessica is so helpful with putting together the pieces for me. She has been such a great advocate for Ava that she does indeed knows the in's and out's, she knows what helps, she knows just what to say.

My favorite moment of the visit had to be watching Ava and Greg play "horsey". Ava has the world's best giggle. If you haven't heard it yet, you must get the little girl to laugh. It's so endearing to see the love within that family, and the love that they have for us as our THON family.

It's been such a beautiful (and busy) week, and I have so much to share but I will save it for another beautiful day..

Remember, live beautifully.
Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment