Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 1.

Today is beautiful because of Kasey's smile. A few days ago, I made my first trip to Fantastic Finds - a wonderful little consignment store in Dillsburg's Village Shops. I love thrift and consignment stores but had yet to make it into the "new" store right in town. (Truth be told, the store opened last April, time just goes too quickly.) I finally got to spend a night shopping with my rarely-seen best friend and she suggested we stop in the store to look at bags before heading to the outlets and so we did. After shimmying into a pair of Hollister jeans which, like a Cinderella slipper, fit beautifully, I claimed that it was a successful stop. (Might I say, Fantastic Finds also has the cutest curtain dressing room) But when I went to pay, a jar to my right caught my eye - Kasey's Fund.


Kasey. Kasey. The name rung a bell. A few months ago, when volunteering at Kid's Klub, a few of my fifth grade girls showed me wristbands for a fourth grade girl Kasey, who had been diagnosed with cancer. I asked the store owner if the Kasey was the same and she explaned. The store consigns clothes for Kasey's Fund - half the selling price goes to the store to cover administrative costs, while the other half is donated directly to Kasey's family. What a perfect idea. I couldn't stop thinking about Kasey afterwards - I thought it was a sign that she popped up in my life again. I emailed Kara, one of the owners of Fantastic Finds, and she passed my information onto Stacey, Kasey's mother. After receiving an email back, I knew much more about Kasey and her fight. Kasey is a beautiful little girl who was recently diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Life is beautiful because depsite her fight, Kasey is still smiling and fighting even harder. It is amazing to see the love and support that people can provide for others when hard times arise. I am currently trying to come up with ways to encourage and support Kasey and her family - if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I am hoping to plan a clothing drive and blood drive in her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment