Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Not for the Faint of Heart


I wanted to stop in to let you know that things may be quiet around here. And well, let's be honest, it was a quiet start to the week already.

You see. My MacBook is struggling.

I tried rebooting from disk and managed to lose Photoshop, great start. Well, rebooting didn't seem to fix the problem. After realizing it wasn't a software issue, I ran a nifty built in hardware test - thanks, Apple. As it turned out, the temperature sensor wasn't working in my computer, a diagnosis that made sense given the fact that my issue was the constant running of my fan and a CPU usage of over 300%. 

Ugh. This all happens just after I book two more Christmas mini-sessions. 

So, (after crying uncontrollably for six hours) I did what any brave 21 year old girl would do - I opened my computer. And inside, I found a messy logic board covered with sugary residue. PSA: Don't keep liquids near your computer, people.

According to Apple, and every mac repair center in Montana (all like, four, of them), the cost for repair would be no less than $500. But, according to Google, the issue could be possibly solved with some time and rubbing alcohol.

Tonight was spent removing my logic board and cleaning it thoroughly  Now, it is airing out and the goal is to reassemble it in the morning. Wish me luck.

While I am typing this on Trevor's laptop, it may be quiet here for a few days while I resolve my computer problems & get caught up on my homework.. After all, I've been thinking about nothing other than my Macbook this week.


So tell me, have you ever spilled liquid on your computer? Or taken one apart yourself? 
It's definitely not for the faint of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment