Saturday, November 24, 2012

Giving Thanks?

Thanksgiving is a holiday that I tend to find a lot of fault with - it seems strange to take one day of the year to sit down and give thanks for the things that we love, the things that we have been blessed with. I also find frustration in the comparisons made this time of year. "I'm thankful for the beautiful house that we have because others are living without a home." "I'm thankful for a great job because so many are unemployed". It seems unfair to give thanks by looking at what others are lacking. Instead, we're trying to be thankful every

That being said, we spent our holiday weekend in the most unorthodox ways. On Wednesday, I left work and our plan was to grab dinner at a summer favorite. Unfortunately, the indoor decor was lacking and the fries? Well, I thought I was dying a few hours later when I realized that they were fried in peanut oil. But hey, at least I could spend the next day thankful that I only ended up with terrible hives and the inability to breath for a few days.

On Thursday, we made a trip to Butte to take a glance in the depressing, toxic, Berkeley Pit - but unfortunately (maybe, fortunately), it never really happened. Instead, we spent the afternoon hiking up a set of trails uptown. From there, we were able to visit a memorial for the Granite Mountain Mining Disaster. Afterwards, with frozen toes, we went to our least favorite place in Butte to buy Christmas lights and movies for the evening. While I didn't end up eating any stuffing or pecan pie (trust me, I tried), we enjoyed roasted sweet potatoes and hard cider - favorites in our house.

Black Friday was spent preparing for the Anaconda Christmas Stroll, a fun annual event. While it was our first, we enjoyed the night. The local downtown stores stay open in the evening with a button contest, the judging of live mannequins, and other fun specials. For me, it was a great opportunity to network and promote my photography.

As for today? A four day weekend left plenty of time for cleaning the house, doing the laundry and grocery shopping. I just wanted to take a moment to stop in and let you know that I survived my first holiday away and in the time off work, I managed to fix my computer, too.

That means you can look forward to more posts this week. In fact, we're busy decorating for Christmas and even planning a party. This means recipe posts and decor ideas for you. And, the Making Time series will be back next week with a post on exercising. Perfectly timed after the biggest food holiday of the year, right?


So tell me, how did you spend your Thanksgiving? Was there stuffing involved?


No comments:

Post a Comment