Monday, October 8, 2012

It's fall, baby.


Though it's already snowed in Montana, I found my first hints of fall last week - despite Pennsylvania's typical humid, warm, September weather). After a week filled with packing boxes, moving furniture and preparing to ship my life 2200 miles away, I snuck away for an afternoon of pumpkins, hale bays, and my favorite family. As much as I love our mountains and big skies, being away from these three makes living in Montana hard. I made sure to spend as much time as possible loving on this little babe, and squeezing his little baby toes. 

We took a drive just outside of York to Barefoot Farm - a local pick-your-own pumpkin patch. With homemade apple dumplings and hot soup, it's the perfect place to take your family as the weather starts to cool. Fairly priced pumpkins, a straw fort, and hay rides all scream "autumn". While we simply enjoyed the atmosphere and took a few photos, there is plenty to entertain the whole family on a fall afternoon. While, I wish we had something like it here in the Treasure State, I suppose I'll just have to settle for store bought pumpkins.

Though I come from a family not big on tradition, I'm trying to bring little traditions to our Montana life. This weekend marked a big fall cleaning - hours of scrubbing, rearranging, organizing, and decorating. Family photos were hung on the walls; autumn scented candles were lit. A fall banner hangs from our mantle and tomorrow, pumpkins and indian corn will join. In the next few weeks, I hope to make this apple sangria, drink lots of hot cocoa, have one last bonfire, create autumn wreaths for our doors, and host family & friends for home-cooked and hearty meals. Perhaps I can even convince Trevor to carve pumpkins or visit a corn maze

So tell me, what are your fall traditions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment